Saturday, August 22, 2009

The IKEA Moving-Out Sale in USJ... and down memory lane

SORRY if you were duped by the heading :P. First of all, IKEA is NOT moving out from its current premises. Secondly, IKEA is in Mutiara Damansara and there has never been one in USJ... hehe!

Why the misleading heading then? you might ask.

Well, I'm going away and while itemizing my things for sale, found out that I have quite a number of IKEA stuff. So, I came-up with my own mini IKEA catalogue for my colleagues to browse through...



I was first 'introduced' to IKEA by my hubby (then, fiance)in 1996 and immediately fell head over heels in love with it (and also with the person who introduced 'us'... hehe). Those days, the store was still in One Utama. It was (and still is) my favourite store. Friday afternoon breaks would be spent hanging around the place. Sometimes I bought something, other times, it's just browsing through the wares and the various interiors, and making a mental note of the decorating ideas and calculating how much I would have to spend to buy some of the items! A retractable measuring tape would always be tucked in one corner of my handbag together with all the junk that weigh the bag down (the paper tapes provided by the store are too flimsy for my liking and are best left for the amateurs... ahem)


VENI VIDI VICI (I came, I saw, I conquer) - Julius Caeser
My version: I went, I saw, I measured, I bought, I took it back flatpacked, I installed it myself! :P

Yup! I did it all by myself: from the Gabriel racks to that bulky Hemnes loft bed. Thanks to the handyman genes that I inherited from my dad. That was one of the reasons why I LURVE IKEA stuff - the satisfaction of installing those things yourself - only DIY buffs will know the feeling...

My comments regarding the furniture? Well, 3 items which I bought was damaged in no time (thanks to the maid), but am satisfied with the rest. While I'm selling most of my furniture (some VERY reluctantly), I'm keeping a few like these Billy bookcases...


Well, IKEA and I have come a looong way. My greatest IKEA 'achievement'? Sleeping in IKEA with my hubby! Serious! By a stroke of luck, we participated in the first ever "IKEA Sleepover" in One Utama back in 1998. So there we were (and 30-odd couples and families) in our pyjamas (that was the rule), being entertained by Yasmin Yusoff and Buddy Loren, partied away till midnite, and later slept on our chosen beds. We were served Swedish breakfast the next morning before going back with our prizes. And ... the whole thing was telescast on TV3! Tak percaya ke? Well, I'll have to rummage my trunk for that newspaper cutting and certificate that we got :P

As much as I love my IKEA stuff, I'll have to sell 'em all before the family moves to Bristol.

"Tak sedih ke jual semua barang2 tu?" they asked.
"Tak, nanti boleh beli lagi.." I just grinned.

God is indeed Great.

I won't miss my furniture and my IKEA 'friend' because there's an IKEA store in Bristol! Yeayyy!!!!

(... and Ingvar Kamprad is laughing all the way to the bank...:))

3 comments:

N.L. said...

hi there! i'm nadhirah from Mutiara Damansara (i am 3 minutes from IKEA haha ;D )

anyways, pleased to make your acquaintance. i came across your blog in my attempt to research malay cooking recipes.

i read your post about your IKEA sale. would love to to view what you have for sale.

if you are interested to share, please send me the mini catalogue to my email nadh1506@gmail.com

well, hope to hear from you!

have a great Ramadhan :)

Koonch said...

Thanks for your interest. I'll see what I can do. Most of the the bigger items have already been sold, though.

MsPartOfYourLife said...

sad knowing that u n family will leave USJ...but hey, anything for sale rite now? hehe